NEADS Logo - Home
Find us on: Facebook YouTube Twitter

Quick Question:
What are my rights to post-secondary education as a person with a disability?

Upcoming Events

More Events

Link of the day

More Links

Donate Now to support NEADS! We need your support!
Donations are tax deductible and you will receive a charitable tax receipt for 100% of your gift.

Donate Now Through!

High School Transition

Non-Governmental Organizations

Canadian Association of Independent Living Centres (CAILC)

This organization, started in the early 1980s, observes the Independent Living philosophy, recognizing people with disabilities’ right to make their own decisions, and to be active members of their communities. The work of CAILC seeks to change the environment to meet the needs of people with disabilities, and not vice-versa.

CAILC is the national umbrella organization of Canadian local, autonomous independent living centres, which are run by and for people with disabilities. The centres offer information and referral services, peer support, and skills development, which can be of particular benefit to students with disabilities making the move into new cities for postsecondary education.

The national group’s Web site is full of useful information on how Independent Living can be helpful for people with disabilities. There is also contact information listed for the local independent living centres located across the country.

Canadian Association of Independent Living Centres (CAILC)
1104-170 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, ON K1P 5V5
Tel: (613) 563-2581
Fax: 613-563-3861
TTY: 613-563-4215
Web site:


All contents copyright ©, 1999-2019, National Educational 
Association of Disabled Students. All rights reserved.