Call for Presentations: The Eighteenth Annual Multiple Perspectives on Access and Inclusion and Disability conference
April 17 & 18, 2018
On The Ohio State University’s Columbus Campus
Multiple Perspectives is an ongoing exploration of disability, a conversation including many voices that reflect perspectives gained through experience and research; theory and practice, art and science. This year’s theme, “What I know” is based on a quote from R.D. Lang
“If I don't know I don't know, I think I know.
If I don't know I know, I think I don't know.”
Join a wide ranging conversation about disability, sharing what you know and learning what you do not. Whether you are discussing employment, technology, education, recreation, or policy the questions and quotes below can help you frame organize your thoughts.
What is Disability?
"Disability is not a brave struggle or 'courage in the face of adversity.' Disability is an art. It's an ingenious way to live." Neil Marcus
What is Inclusion?
“Congress acknowledged that society's accumulated myths and fears about disability and disease are as handicapping as are the physical limitations that flow from actual impairment.” Justice William J. Brennan, Jr.
What is Equity?
"We know that equality of individual ability has never existed and never will, but we do insist that equality of opportunity still must be sought." President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
What is Access?
“Congress understood in shaping the ADA, it would sometimes require not blindfolded equality, but responsiveness to difference; not indifference, but accommodation.” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Preference will be given to proposals that encourage discussions across the typical social, political, and disciplinary boundaries; connect individuals to local, national or international communities; or consider parallels, distinctions and intersections with race, gender and ethnicity.
Past programs and conference updates as they become available can be found at: http://ada.osu.edu/conferences.htm
To be on the mailing list for the conference, send e-mail to ADA-OSU@osu.edu
The Multiple Perspectives Conference is hosted by Ohio State University’s ADA Coordinator’s Office is made possible thanks to the generosity of the Ethel Louise Armstrong Endowment Fund and ongoing support from The Ohio State University.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR MULTIPLE PERSPECTIVES 2018
Proposal Deadline: International Day of Persons with Disabilities (December 3, 2018)
Proposals should be submitted by e-mail with the body of the email or as an attachment (Word, TXT, or RTF formats) to ADA-OSU@osu.edu with MP2018 and your name in the subject line
Proposals must include:
1. Name of each presenter with titles, institutions, employers etc. as appropriate
2. Contact information (phone, mailing address, and e-mail) if there is more than one presenter please indicate one individual as the contact and lead presenter.
3. Title of Presentation (9 words or less)
4. Short Description not more than 50 words.
5. Full Description (700 words or less) describe the content, focus and desired outcomes for the presentation using these questions as a guide.
· What is the format of the presentation (Lecture, Panel, Discussion, Performance, Other)?
· Who is the intended audience (educators, employers, businesses, advocates, students, consumers, researchers, or other)?
· How familiar should the audience be with the topic (beginner, intermediate, advanced)?
What are your three main goals for the presentation?
Please Note: The full conference fees will be waived and lunch provided for presenters of accepted proposals. Presenters are responsible for their own travel and lodging.
Questions contact L. Scott Lissner at Lissner.email@example.com.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with MP Mailing List in the subject to be put on the conference mailing list.