NEADS National Student Awards Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Are unofficial transcripts acceptable?

Unofficial transcripts will be accepted as long as they include the student's name and/or student number. Unofficial transcripts must not show signs of tampering or modification in any form.

When will those selected to receive an award be contacted?

All recipients will be contacted  telephone and e-mail no later than August 1. Due to the volume of applications received, only those selected will be contacted.

I started my current studies in the Winter semester, I was not registered for courses in the Fall, am I still eligible to apply?

Yes. Applicants must be registered in courses at the time of application and be returning to full-time studies in the fall.

What happens if one of my supporting documents is sent after the deadline?

Documents sent after the deadline will not be accepted. All documentation must be post-marked by the deadline. Documents sent electronically must be received by 11:59 EST on the deadline.

How should my references submit their forms?

Reference letters must either be submitted directly by the referee to, or be signed and sent by regular mail.

How can I confirm that my documents have been received?

Confirmation for supporting documents received by February 15 will be sent by e-mail to applicant. Updates sent by e-mail are reflective of the current state of the application and indicate which documentation has been received to-date. Due to the large volume of material received in the final weeks of the intake, application status updates are unavailable during this period.

Can I submit my application and/or documents in French?

Applicants are invited to submit their application and supporting documents in French. Documents are reviewed by bilingual staff for completeness.

What format files do my files have to be in to submit them online?

Electronic files are accepted in the following formats:

  • Microsoft Word (DOC)
  • Adobe Acrobat (PDF)
  • Image files (GIF, JPG, PNG, BMP, TIF)
  • Hypertext Format (HTML)

Is a print out of grades from my school's web site an acceptable transcript?

Transcripts printed for student accounts will be accepted as long as they include the student's name and/or student number. These transcripts must not show signs of tampering or modification in any form.

Once I have submitted my application, can I make changes to it?

All submissions become the property of NEADS and will not be returned. Once submitted, applications forms are final and may not be modified. Additional documentation will accepted up to the deadline.

My phone number, e-mail address, or mailing address have changed, how can I update my file?

Should your contact information change prior to the notification date (August 1), please inform our selection team by e-mail at or by telephone at 613-380-8065.

I am currently on medical leave from my studies, can I still apply?

Applicants must be currently registered in studies at the time of application and be returning to school in the fall. Students on leave are not eligible to apply.

There are currently holds on my student account that are preventing the release of my grades, can my application be considered anyway?

All documents must be sent by the deadline.

Is a photocopy of my student card acceptable proof of enrolment?

No. Acceptable forms of proof of enrolment are: Letter confirming registration status from the registrar, or a copy of your student account that lists current courses, or a class schedule.

What happens if my supporting documents are received before my application?

While it is not recommended to have documentation arrive in our office prior to your application, we will retain these and attach them to your application when it does arrive. Please note that documents arriving in this order may result in incorrect status updates.

Can I submit more than one community reference or more than one academic reference?

Only one reference of each type will be considered by the selection committee. Additional documents will be discarded.

Can I apply for more than one award in this application cycle?

Some awards have specific program of study or other requirements; pay careful attention to these eligibility guidelines. If you meet the criteria of more than one award you may choose to be considered for those that you are eligible for.

If I won a NEADS Student Award previously, can I reapply?

Yes, provided you are currently registered and will be registered in a post-secondary program of study in the coming academic year.