Project Assistant – NEADS British Columbia Employment Forums Project - Application deadline extended
Job title: Project Assistant
Organization: National Educational Association of Disabled Students (NEADS).
Organization’s website: www.neads.ca
Project duration: Early August 2012 to March 31, 2013
Hourly compensation: $20.00
Location: Candidates may be located anywhere within
Position will begin early August, 2012 and run until the end of March 2013. The position requires on average 10 hours of work per week.
Since its founding in 1986 the National Educational Association of Disabled Students (NEADS), has had the mandate to support full access to education and employment for post-secondary students with disabilities.
NEADS is a charitable organization focused on responding to the educational and employment needs of post-secondary students with disabilities through specific projects, resources, research, publications and partnerships.
Project Assistant position description:
This position requires candidates to be well equipped to work from home with your own computer, internet access and phone access.
The Project Assistant will report to the Project Manager and the National Coordinator. The project assistant will also have the opportunity to interact with the national board of directors, volunteers and external stakeholders.
The project assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Organize employment events to be held in
- Promote events to post-secondary institutions and disability related organizations through emails and follow-up telephone calls
- Recruit event speakers and exhibitors
- Prepare agendas, speaker bios and name tags for printing and managing all administrative materials for the event registration
- Provide tracking and follow-ups for special requests pertaining to the event
- Provide quick and accurate responses to questions leading up to the event
- Provide coordination of onsite registration the day of the event
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders
Assist with other organizational projects where needed
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively and collaboratively within teams
- Proven ability to work well independently with little supervision
- Strong aptitude for developing rapport with stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities
- Candidate must be goal oriented, personable and committed to delivering high quality work
- A professional demeanor is required and to act professionally in all situations when representing the organization
- Excellent computer skills and ability to work from home
- Commitment to working within a framework that ensures full access and inclusion for all
- Positive approach to problem solving and committed to continuous improvement
- Knowledge / training in project management principles
- Previous event coordination experience
- Experience in developing marketing materials and formatting
- Experience in preparing funding proposals
- Familiarity with disability related accommodations i.e. ASL, CART, alternative formats etc.
In order to apply for this position, please email your resume, cover letter, and short essay to Frank Smith, National Coordinator by July 27th, 2012: email@example.com
Your short essay should be approx 500 words and should address the following questions:
- What are three of your top skills that help you work well independently? Please describe a time when you’ve demonstrated your ability to work well independently. Briefly describe the situation, the actions you took and the results.
- What are three of your top skills that help you work well as part of a team? Please describe a time when you’ve demonstrated your ability to work effectively as part of a team. Briefly describe the situation, the actions you took and the results.
Applications will only be accepted through email. No phone calls please.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews for this position will be conducted in early August.