Donate Now to support NEADS! We need your support!
Donations are tax deductible and you will receive a charitable tax receipt for 100% of your gift.
CNIB Hiring Government Relations and Policy Specialist (Ottawa)
Life is a beautiful, complex and a wonderful thing. Life for people who are blind should be no different. To deliver on this vision and help us change what it is to be blind today, CNIB (the Canadian National Institute for the Blind) is inviting applications for spirited, determined leaders to join our team.
For 100 years, CNIB has been the leading national organization serving and supporting people with sight loss and, as we enter our next century of service, we want to take our work to the next level and smash societal barriers and stigmas associated to sight loss.
CNIB nationally employs hundreds of professionals delivering vision loss rehabilitation services and life enhancement programs to Canadians who are blind or partially sighted. These dedicated individuals are supported by thousands of skilled volunteers working in all regions of the country.
If you are a dynamic leader who wants to play a critical role at a transformational moment in CNIB’s history and help us change what it is to be blind, we want to hear from you.
We offer flexible work schedules, competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities to make an impact. Be a part of a collaborative and enthusiastic group of people whose shared vision is to change what it is to be blind.
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
Date: April 18, 2018
Job Title: Specialist, Government Relations and Policy
Location: Ottawa, ON
This position is responsible for assisting in the operations of CNIB's Public Policy team. Additionally, this position will support all federal government files within CNIB's Foundation. The Specialist, Government Relations and Policy will be responsible for preparing briefing materials, researching ongoing policy issues of interest to CNIB and coordinating CNIB's federal lobby efforts. The Specialist, Government Relations and Policy will report to the Head, Public Affairs.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
• Develop briefing materials and draft correspondence to federal government officials.
• Monitor the activities of federal government including legislation, regulations, policies, committees, etc.
• Assist with the development of relationship building with federal government officials including legislators and their staff and bureaucracy.
• Provide advice and implement strategies for strengthening existing relationships with Parliamentarians.
• Support research and impact analysis of legislation, policy and regulations of interest to CNIB.
• Provide policy and regulatory advice to the Head, Public Affairs and CNIB Executive Leadership.
• Maintain an in-depth understand of current socio, economic and political issues and government legislation/policies that are expected to impact CNIB.
• Support CNIB's national advocacy campaigns.
• Ensures compliance with CNIB policies and legislative obligations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience):
• Degree in related field (Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Disability Policy, etc.)
• At least 2 – 3 years experience working with government, in government relations, advocacy work or policy analysis.
• Advance knowledge of current federal government structure, representatives and policy initiatives pertaining to Canadians with sight loss.
• Eligible to be a registered federal lobbyist.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships.
• Ability to provide creative solutions to complicated problems in a timely manner.
• Strong written and oral communication.
• Well organized and excellent coordination skills.
• Ability to manage many projects simultaneously with little supervision.
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Proficient in English and French.
• Direct experience lobbying the federal government.
• Willingness to work flexible hours sometimes outside of regular work hours.
• Occasional travel.
Closing Date for Applications: May 2, 2018
Please send CV and cover letter to Thomas.email@example.com and quote the job title in the subject line. Applications must be sent in an accessible document.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.