Financial Aid Directory

Government Funding Programs in the Yukon Territory

Employability Assistance for People with Disabilities

The Yukon government has not signed an agreement with the Federal government to implement the EAPD program. As such, support specifically to students with disabilities still operates under the terms of the Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Persons (VRDP) Program. This program does offer support to students with disabilities to attend post-secondary education. However, it is a small program with a limited budget and students are encouraged to seek other supports, such as student loans.

Student Loan Program

The Yukon Government also offers a number of financial support programs, (note that not all of these are targeted at students with disabilities). These include: Government Funding Programs

  1. Canada Student Loan Program - The Yukon Department of Education administers this program, which includes access to Canada Study Grants for students with disabilities.
  2. Yukon Grant: The Yukon Department of Education also administers this grant, which supports post-secondary education. There are high school and/or residency requirements for obtaining the grant, which is provided for up to 5 years combined with the Student Training Allowance at $1,488 per semester.
  3. Training Allowance: This is available for Yukon residents and it provides support for courses at Yukon College or other approved training courses. Individuals are paid $84 per week and increases weekly depending on the number of dependents the student may have, up to a maximum of 4 dependents. It is worth noting that there are no special funds for students with disabilities in this program, although students with disabilities may apply.
  4. Financial assistance for individuals attending a training or upgrading course -The Yukon Social Assistance program provides support for a maximum of one academic year. The school allowance is $50 per month on top of the regular social assistance benefits. Note that people with disabilities may receive special benefits to cover medical and rehabilitation costs as part of their Social Assistance benefits.

For more information contact:

Student Financial Services
Tel.: 867-667-5929
Toll-free: 1-800-661-0408 Local 5929 (within Yukon)